Our proposed sustainable economic system is based on our proposed science of SORAnomics which in turn is based on our proposed science of metaphysics as David Hume’s ‘Science of man’, which we develop as metascience. This science combines the best and most profound philosophies of the East and the West from the ancient past, up to the present. Unlike ordinary or ‘vulgar’ metaphysics, which just studies things for the sake of intellectual exercise, and unlike religions which cannot be challenged, this science is purpose-built ultimately for human happiness, and can allow open-ended skeptical questions to prevent dogma and sophistry. This balance of positive openness and negative skepticism allows creativity and freedom of thought, while maintaining a kind of intellectual ‘quality control’.
We then propose this metascience to be the new or alternative foundation of other sciences as a system, just as what Hume proposed for the science of human nature:
All the sciences have a relation to human nature. No matter how far any science runs away from human nature, it still returns by one way or another. In pretending, to explain the principles of human nature, we in effect propose a complete system of the sciences. This system is built on an almost entirely new foundation. This foundation is the only one on which the sciences can be secured. The science of man is the only solid foundation for the other sciences. (Hume, Simple Treatise, Advertisement)
We take into account Smith’s definition of metaphysics in coming up with metascience:
In every case, Species or Universals, and not Individuals, are the objects of Philosophy. Whatever effects are produced by Individuals must all proceed from some universal nature in them. It was the business of Physics, or Natural Philosophy, to determine the Nature and Essence of every particular Species of things to connect all the events in the material world. Metaphysics and Logics originally arose out of Natural Philosophy and were thought to go before Natural Philosophy to communicate the knowledge of Nature. Metaphysics is the general nature of Universals and the different sorts or species they might be divided into. Logics was built on this doctrine of Metaphysics. From the general nature of Universals and the sorts which they were divided into, Logics tried to ascertain the general rules to distribute all objects into general classes and determine to what class each object belonged. They thought that this was the whole art of philosophical reasoning. Metaphysics is subordinate to Logic. Before Aristotle’s time, they were regarded as one and made up the ancient Dialectic. (Smith, Simple Essays)
Thus, we can make an analogy:
- Systemic study of the material world: Ancient Physics → Natural Philosophy → Science
- Systemic study of the immaterial world: Ancient Metaphysics → Philosophy → Metascience
This science, with its main authors, are organized into following:
- SORAnomics (economics, social companies, work theory of value, social and economic justice, etc, based on the invisible hand of human dharma)
- Socio-politics (systems of government, history, and social cycles based on the nature of the mind of society)
- We can say that quantum physics (physics that deals with probabilities of the qualities of particles from the qualities of waves, based on the invisible hand of universal dharma) falls under metascience, while classical and modern physics fall under traditional science, and are based on the invisible hand of physical dharma.
- In the realm of medicine, this will put Eastern and alternative medical practices such as Ayurveda, traditional Asian medicine, homeopathy, etc. under the same footing and metascientific rigour as Western medicine. This opens up a new set of possible cures to common diseases, and increases competition between disease-solvers in order to give people more choices at generally lesser costs, or less toil and trouble, for issues relating to physical and mental health.
Authors and Books which form Metascience
- Baruch Spinoza (Ethics)
- Tao Te Ching
- Bhagavad Gita
- David Hume (Treatise Book 1 & 2, Essays)
- Adam Smith (Theory of Moral Sentiments, Essays)
- Buddhist texts
Authors and Books which form SORAnomics
- Adam Smith (Wealth of Nations, Lectures on Jurisprudence, Theory of Moral Sentiments)
- David Hume (Treatise Book 3)
Authors which form Socio-politics
- Western and Eastern philosophers
From now on, posts that are mostly based on metasciences will be put in a separate site, while those relating to SORAnomics, or the study of resource allocation for human societies, will stay here.
Edit June 2017: Updated ‘socioeconomics’ into SORAnomics